Adam Matthew Digital has released the first part of its new British government documents collection, Apartheid South Africa, 1948-1980.
Part 1, 1948-1966 provides page-image reproductions of British Foreign Office, Colonial Office, and Dominion Office documents held at the National Archives (UK), starting with the election of the National Party to power in 1948 through the assassination of Prime Minister H.F. Verwoerd.
Apartheid South Africa, 1948-1980 offers British government memoranda and reports, official and unofficial correspondence, pamphlets, booklets, and newspaper cuttings, trial and court case documents, reports of meetings, investigations, and surveys, biographical profiles, economic analyses, and other materials. Each document has searchable metadata identifying title and National Archives (UK) reference, and key people, places, and topics covered by the document. Documents have searchable fulltext, although handwritten annotations will not be searchable.
Part 1, 1948-1966, covers British reports on the South African government’s policy and legislation of racial segregation and the establishment of “homelands”, the emerging liberation movements in Southern Africa, the UN isolation of South Africa and South Africa’s withdrawal from the Commonwealth, the Sharpeville Massacre and the Rivonia trial of Nelson Mandela and other ANC leaders.
Part 2, 1967-1975 and Part 3, 1976-1980 will be released during the 2014-2015 school year. Apartheid South Africa, 1948-1980 is intended to contain complete runs of these National Archives (UK) files for the relevant years:
- FO 371, Foreign Office: Political Departments: General Correspondence from 1906-1966
- FCO 45, Commonwealth Office and Foreign and Commonwealth Office: Southern African Department and predecessors: Registered Files (SAD and CS Series) (1967-1979)
- FCO 105, Foreign and Commonwealth Office: Southern African Department: Registered Files (JS file series) (1979-1980)
The collection also includes specific selected files on South Africa from:
- CO 1048, Colonial Office and Commonwealth Office: Southern Africa Department: Original Correspondence (1960-1968)
- DO 35, Dominions Office and Commonwealth Relations Office: Original Correspondence (1915-1971)
- DO 119, High Commissioner for South Africa, and High Commissioner for Basutoland, the Bechuanaland Protectorate and Swaziland, and UK High Commissioner for the Union of South Africa: Correspondence (1843-1965)
- DO 157, Commonwealth Relations Office: South Africa High Commission Territories: Registered Files (BBS Series) (1959-1963)
- DO 161, Commonwealth Relations Office and Commonwealth Office: Constitutional Department and successors: Registered Files (CON Series) (1953-1967)
- DO 165, Commonwealth Relations Office: Economic Policy: Registered Files (EC and EP Series) (1951-1967)
- DO 180, Commonwealth Relations Office: Southern Africa Department: Registered Files (SA Series) (1960-1961)
- DO 193, Commonwealth Relations Office: Planning and Research Unit: Registered Files (PLA Series) (1957-1966)
- DO 212, Commonwealth Office: East Africa Department: Registered Files, Botswana, Lesotho and Swaziland (BLS, SAB, SAL and SAS Series) (1966-1967)
- DO 216, Commonwealth Relations Office and Commonwealth Office: West and General Africa Department: Registered Files, General Africa (GA Series) (1963-1966)
- FO 953, Foreign Office: Information Policy Department and Regional Information Departments: Registered Files (1947-1966)
- FO 1110, Foreign Office and Foreign and Commonwealth Office: Information Research Department: General Correspondence (PR and IR Series) (1948-1967)
- FO 1117, Foreign Office and Foreign and Commonwealth Office: Embassy, South Africa: Registered Files (1963-1969)
We welcome questions and observations about this mammoth primary source collection.