The Penn Libraries have added more than 300 e-journals published by SAGE Publications through the comprehensive collection SAGE Premier. The new acquisition brings to Penn readers access to all current SAGE Publications e-journal content – from more than 730 individual SAGE e-journals – plus the complete deep backfile of older issues from SAGE e-journals.
SAGE Publications was founded as an independent publisher by Sara and George McCune in 1965. SAGE’s subject strengths traditionally have been in the social and behavioral sciences. Prior Penn Libraries holdings in SAGE e-journals reflect this traditional strength, with strong holdings in education, sociology, psychology, and communication.
The new SAGE Premier acquisition adds 60 health sciences titles, 38 education titles, 23 business and management titles, and 22 psychology titles, with growth in other subject areas such as materials science, sociology, engineering and computing, political science, and communication. More than 30 titles with significant South Asian content are included among the new titles, reflecting the prominent role SAGE Publications plays in Indian scholarly publishing. These new titles may be discovered through Franklin, FindIt, and the PennText Article Finder.
SAGE e-journals frequently requested through interlibrary loan/document delivery or that have shown high numbers of turnaways that are now available to Penn readers through SAGE Premier and the deep backfile include:
- Journal of Intensive Care Medicine
- American Journal of Medical Quality
- Health Promotion Practice
- International Journal of Behavioral Development
- The Family Journal: Counseling and Therapy for Couples and Families
- Journal of Social and Personal Relationships
- Journal of Career Development
- School Psychology International
High impact factor and high eigenfactor SAGE e-journals included in the SAGE Premier acquisition include:
- Journal of Vibration and Control
- Structural Health Monitoring: An International Journal
- Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition
- Statistical Methods in Medical Research
- Emotion Review
- Current Directions in Psychological Science
The acquisition of deep backfiles – e-journal issues earlier than 1999 – expands online access to older articles in more than 470 SAGE e-journals. While some SAGE backfiles have been available to Penn readers through JSTOR and existing SAGE projects that are being phased out, the deep backfile purchase brings expanded coverage to 177 newly-added titles; 215 e-journals add coverage older than 1980, and 23 of those titles add coverage older than 1950. Significant deep backfile additions include:
- Perspectives in Public Health. Fomerly: Journal of the Royal Society for the Promotion of Health. 1879-present.
- The Expository Times. 1889-present.
- The Prison Journal. 1921-present.
- Annals of Otology, Rhinology, and Laryngology. 1925-present.
- Educational and Psychological Measurement. 1941-present.
- Human Relations
The SAGE Premier and deep backfile e-journal acquisitions complements the Summer 2013 purchase of more than 2,700 e-books on the SAGE Knowledge platform.