The Penn Libraries have joined an ebooks pilot program bringing the 2018 frontlist titles from Harvard, Princeton, Columbia, and Cornell University Presses, and the University of Toronto Press to Penn readers.
This pilot program, hosted by De Gruyter, ebook publisher for the five university presses, is projected to contain 830 titles when completed. These titles represent the complete book catalogs for Fall 2017, Spring 2018, and Fall 2018 from these presses. Individual ebook titles will appear in Franklin Catalog as they become available. The program is exceptional in that all titles will be available as DRM-free unlimited-user PDF chapters, with no omissions or exceptions.
- Bad advice : or why celebrities, politicians, and activists aren’t your best source of health information / Paul A Offit. (Columbia University Press)
- Spectre of race : how discrimination haunts western democracy / Michael George Hanchard. (Princeton University Press)
- The social origins of language / Robert M Seyfarth & Dorothy L Cheney. (Princeton University Press)
- How behavior spreads : the science of complex contagions / Damon Centola. (Princeton University Press)
- Populating the novel : literary form and the politics of surplus life / Emily Steinlight. (Cornell University Press)
- Chicken : a natural history / Joseph Barber et al. (Princeton University Press)
- Album : unpublished correspondence and texts / Roland Barthes. (Columbia University Press)
- Charlotte Lennox : an independent mind / Susan Carlile. (University of Toronto Press)
- How to think like an anthropologist / Martin Engelke. (Princeton University Press)
- A history of Judaism from its origins to the present / Martin Goodman. (Princeton University Press)
- Superbugs : an arms race against bacteria / William Hall et al. (Harvard University Press)
- Privacy’s blueprint : the battle to control the design of new technologies / Woodrow Hartzog. (Harvard University Press)
- The known citizen : a history of privacy in modern America / Sarah E Igo. (Harvard University Press)
- Broken lives : how ordinary Germans experience the 20th century / Konrad Jarausch. (Princeton University Press)
- How did Lubitsch do it? / Joseph McBride. (Harvard University Press)
- Hawk of the mind : collected poems / Yang Mu. (Columbia University Press)
- Brave new Arctic : the untold story of the melting north / Mark C Serreze. (Princeton University Press)
- A sacred space is never empty : a history of Soviet atheism / Victoria Smolkin. (Princeton University Press)
- Christianity in the twentieth century : a world history / Brian Stanley. (Princeton University Press)
- Nefertiti’s face : the creation of an icon / Joyce Tyldesley. (Harvard University Press)
- Beyond abortion : Roe v Wade and the battle for privacy / Mary Ziegler. (Harvard University Press)
The Penn Libraries will continue to collect print copies of titles published by the five university presses, as we do with ebook titles acquired through ebook frontlist programs for the Penn Press (also hosted on De Gruyter’s platform) and Duke University Press. We expect the pilot program to continue in future years, pending evaluation by the five presses, De Gruyter, and more than two dozen participating libraries.